Monday, May 30, 2011

Business Card Billing

We had a really bad storm blow through here the end of April. We had some minor damage to our home from a large group of shingles that still had the roofing nails attached. My neighbor also had a large bunch land in her yard. Both sets of shingles hit our house. I called a repair company and the owner came out to give me an estimate. I asked him how we would pay since my husband and I would both be at work when they completed the repair. The owner said he would send me a bill. On May 3rd, I called the siding repair guy to confirm if he was coming out because we had another storm that hit again the day before. He assured me he would be out. When I returned home from work, I found a business card on our front door, so I threw it on the desk and forgot about it.

All month long I’m waiting on a bill to come in the mail, like most companies would send if the say “we will send you a bill”. I never received anything. Today I’m going through mail, getting things ready to file, sorting, throwing way and I run across this business card. I set it to the side so I could file it with the rest of the business cards I have, should I need it in the future. During this entire desk cleaning, the business card got turned over and on the back was written “Please remit $100.00 to address on front”. Who does this?? I’m thinking I would be receiving something by mail along with a statement of what repairs were made and I had the redneck method all along. Wow, who needs a bookkeeper when you have business cards?! Does he stop by each month and throw another business card on your door should he not receive your payment? I suppose it’s a good thing I didn’t want to file this on my home owners insurance.

I appreciate the work this man did, even though he didn’t do some of it as agreed. And that part was so minor, but it was the fact he didn’t honor his word. If he had someone else come out in his place, he should have passed the word along to the guy who did do it. Granted he didn’t charge much. For any services your hire, you expect them to do it to the best of their ability. I would definitely use them again. Next time I will make sure I was here to inspect the work when it was completed.

As I was addressing the envelope to mail my payment, I started thinking that maybe my method of sending a payment should be through my front door. If I placed the envelope on my front door, would it magically appear at the address written on the front?


No comments: